Python testing tools

Y Yen srcmap.y.yen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 18:02:28 EDT 2013

On Friday, July 19, 2013 3:56:24 PM UTC-7, cutems93 wrote:
> I am currently doing some research on testing software for Python. I found that there are many different types of testing tools. These are what I've found.
>

> 1.Unit test
>
> 2.Mock test
>
> 3.Fuzz test
>
> 4.Web test
>
> 5.Acceptance/business logic test
>
> 6.GUI test
>
> 7.Source code checking
>
> 8.Code coverage
>
> 9.Continuous integration
>
> 10.Automatic test runners
>
> 11.Test fixtures
>

> I know web and GUI testing tools are for specific uses. For instance, if you are not working with GUI or web pages, you don't need those testing tools. Other than these two, do you use all of the other nine testing tools? I think many of you are using unit testing tools, such as unittest and doctest, and source code checking tools, like pylint or pychecker. Do you guys use #2,3,5,8,9,10 and 11 often?
>

> Thanks!
>

> -Min S.

I found the python's unittest framework lack good reporting tools.

For my project (www.srcmap.com), I want something that does high level features integration tests, scriptable, generate report in HTML table format that label pass ->Green, fail -> Red.   Separate by scripts, commands runs, etc.

  In python, it is so trivial to write you own.  It parse the json test scripts and execute the commands inside one at a time.  It works very well.