Share Code Tips

Devyn Collier Johnson devyncjohnson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 21:04:55 EDT 2013

On 07/19/2013 07:09 PM, Dave Angel wrote:
> On 07/19/2013 06:08 PM, Devyn Collier Johnson wrote:
>>
>> On 07/19/2013 01:59 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
>      <snip>
>>
>> As for the case-insensitive if-statements, most code uses Latin letters.
>> Making a case-insensitive-international if-statement would be
>> interesting. I can tackle that later. For now, I only wanted to take
>> care of Latin letters. I hope to figure something out for all
>> characters.
>>

> Once Steven gave you the answer, what's to figure out?  You simply use
> casefold() instead of lower().  The only constraint is it's 3.3 and
> later, so you can't use it for anything earlier.
>
> http://docs.python.org/3.3/library/stdtypes.html#str.casefold
>
> """
> str.casefold()
> Return a casefolded copy of the string. Casefolded strings may be used
> for caseless matching.
>
> Casefolding is similar to lowercasing but more aggressive because it
> is intended to remove all case distinctions in a string. For example,
> the German lowercase letter 'ß' is equivalent to "ss". Since it is
> already lowercase, lower() would do nothing to 'ß'; casefold()
> converts it to "ss".
>
> The casefolding algorithm is described in section 3.13 of the Unicode
> Standard.
>
> New in version 3.3.
> """

Chris Angelico said that casefold is not perfect. In the future, I want
to make the perfect international-case-insensitive if-statement. For
now, my code only supports a limited range of characters. Even with
casefold, I will have some issues as Chris Angelico mentioned. Also, "ß"
is not really the same as "ss".

Mahalo,
DCJ