Designing a Pythonic search DSL for SQL and NoSQL databases

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Fri Jul 19 08:49:37 EDT 2013

In article <mailman.4864.1374236715.3114.python-list at python.org>,
 Alec Taylor <alec.taylor6 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Python community,
>
> I am analysing designing an abstraction layer over a select few NoSQL
> and SQL databases.
>
> Specifically:
>
> - Redis, Neo4j, MongoDB, CouchDB
> - PostgreSQL

This isn't really a Python question.

Before you even begin to think about "how to do this in Python", you
need to think about "how to do this at all".  You've got a huge range of
storage paradigms there.  Redis is basically a key-value store.  Mongo
does documents.  Postgres does relations.  I'm not familiar with Neo and
Couch, but I assume they also have their own interesting ways of storing
things.

You need to figure out what it means to abstract search over such a
diverse range of technologies.  I honestly don't think it's possible,
but maybe you've got some good ideas.  In any case, you need to figure
that part out before you even begin to think about how to implement it
in any particular language.