Messages to Python-List aren't posting

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 04:05:23 EDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 6:30 AM, Matthew Lefavor <mclefavor at gmail.com> wrote:
> All:
>
> I've been having trouble with all three Python mailing lists (python-list,
> python-dev, python-ideas). This has been going on for about a month.
> Whenever I post, it takes hours for my messages to be posted on the list. I
> first thought it was an issue with my work email server, but moving to gmail
> has had no effect.
>
> Is there some obscure setting I am missing? Has anybody else had this
> problem?

This just came through, timestamped 11.5 hours ago. I don't usually
have this problem. Looking at your Received headers, in reverse order:

Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 16:30:51 -0400 - timestamp of your mail
Thu, 18 Jul 2013 13:30:51 -0700 (PDT) - you posted it via HTTP
Thu, 18 Jul 2013 22:31:39 +0200 (CEST) - it reached python.org
Fri, 19 Jul 2013 09:56:14 +0200 (CEST) - it began delivery to my address
Fri, 19 Jul 2013 00:56:15 -0700 (PDT) - it reached gmail and me.

So the big delay is somewhere within python.org. Since this does NOT
happen to everyone, I would be looking for something like:
* Moderation requirements (does your message not comply with spec?)
* Spam greylisting
* Slow/glitchy DNS when attempting to verify your message

Most likely I think is moderation, given the extreme length of time.
Something would have to be pretty glitchy to lag your mail out for
half a day in spam filtering. It's possible, I guess, though. I've no
idea what anti-spam features the list is using.

ChrisA