What does it take to implement a chat system in Python (Not asking for code just advice before I start my little project)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 03:17:36 EDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Jake Angulo <jake.angulo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 2:36 PM, Aseem Bansal <asmbansal2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I wanted to do a little project for learning Python. I thought a chat
>> system will be good as it isn't something that I have ever done.
>>
>> I wanted to know what will I need?
>> 1 learn network/socket programming
>

> I was actually expecting somebody to mention Twisted :)
> (or Tornado)
>
> You'll find it easy to use any of these frameworks to power the back-end
> chat engine.

For something this simple, what do they offer above the basic socket
module? I know that sounds critical but it's not meant to be; I've
never looked into either, as I've grown up using the BSD socket APIs
(in C, 80x86 assembly, C++, REXX, Java, Pike, and Python, on DOS (I
think), OS/2, Windows, and Linux... and possibly other
languages/platforms that I've now forgotten), and am comfortable with
them; but for someone who hasn't been in networking for two decades,
is there a noteworthy ease-of-starting difference? Bear in mind that
use of a framework locks you in to that framework and its ecosystem
(so, most likely, language), while grokking sockets themselves gives
you the freedom to move as required.

ChrisA