What does it take to implement a chat system in Python (Not asking for code just advice before I start my little project)

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Thu Jul 18 01:39:57 EDT 2013

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 00:36:17 -0400, Aseem Bansal <asmbansal2 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I wanted to do a little project for learning Python. I thought a chat
> system will be good as it isn't something that I have ever done.
>
> I wanted to know what will I need? I think that would require me these
> 1 learn network/socket programming
> 2 find a free server to host my chat server
> 3 GUI development for clients

Not discourage you but this is a "been there, done that" kind of project.
You could learn more from reading somebody else is code. What hasn't been
done, and this would be very cool, is a chat program that works
peer-to-peer with no central server. To do this, you would probably need
to know about distributed hash tables and methods of piercing address
translation firewalls (think UDP).

First however, I would suggest taking a look at https://jitsi.org/ and see
how they do things. You can learn a lot from these people. They are very
smart.