Creating a Program to Decompose a Number and Run a Function on that Decomposition

CTSB01 scott.moore270 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 20:35:06 EDT 2013

 > It's only obvious if you're using Python 3.x.  You have forgotten the
>
> parentheses in the call to the print() function.
>

> On the other hand, if this is Python 2.x, I have no idea.  Next time,
>
> please paste the actual error, not paraphrased.  The error message
>
> includes a traceback. and a pointer to where in the line the error was
>
> detected.  If it's pointing at the end of the second token, you must be
>
> running Python 3.x
> And since you're using that annoying googlegroups, see this:
>
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython
>

> --
>
> DaveA

Hi Dave,

There aren't any emails in the Cc slot so I imagine that part is fine, I will definitely edit the extra quotes though I made the mistake of thinking it was just google being google.  For reference , I'm running Python 3.x.  I'll try out putting the quotes around it.   The full code is:

>>> def phi_m(x,m):
      rtn = []
      for n2 in range(0, len(x)*m - 2):
        n = n2 / m
        r = n2 - n * m
        rtn.append(m * x[n] + r * (x[n + 1] - x[n]))
        print 'n2 =', n2, ': n =', n, ' r =' , r, ' rtn =', rtn
      rtn

SyntaxError: invalid syntax

where the second apostrophe in 'n2 =' is marked in orange.  Thanks to everyone who's helped out so far, hopefully with some experience I'll be able sort out any syntax issues that come my way.