Homework help requested, thanks to everyone.

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Jul 22 13:01:49 EDT 2013

John> Another project I thought of was a Pig Latin translator.  (But
do kids today
John> even know what Pig Latin is?  Am I showing my age?)

Chris> Even if they don't, they'll grok it no problem. It's simple enough.

Google for "Python pig latin" to see a lot of "prior art".

And it might be useful as a step as part of a word-based password generator. :-)

>>> words = open("/usr/dict/words")
>>> words = [word.strip() for word in words if len(word) == 5]
>>> len(words)
2194
>>> import random
>>> random.shuffle(words)
>>> words[0:4]
['live', 'skat', 'levy', 'cove']
>>> [makePigLatin(word) for word in words[0:4]]
['ivelay', 'atskay', 'evylay', 'ovecay']

:-)

Skip