Homework help requested (not what you think!)

Joseph Clark joeclark77 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 18 11:46:15 EDT 2013

Not to open Pandora's box or anything, but are you aware of the Roguelike community (subculture?) (cult?) of game development?  Rogue was an old "text-based" role playing game for Unix, "text-based" in the sense that it used the console as a 2D map and ASCII characters as graphics.  There has been a sort of revival of the genre and a lot of amateur game developers have done some simple or complex variations on the theme.  They're not all RPGs.  The category is defined by a few commonalities like procedural content generation.

There are very active forums and an extensive wiki.  I think these might be particularly appropriate fodder for a tutoring experience because they are neatly broken down into bite-sized chunks.  One day you could do procedural map generation, another day AI, etc.  And all these lessons generalize to the "professional" game development world.

Look at this forum: http://forums.roguetemple.com/index.php?board=7.0
This wiki: http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
This Python tutorial: http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Complete_Roguelike_Tutorial,_using_python%2Blibtcod

By the way, I tried my hand at Markov chain name generation, too.  My python code is at https://github.com/joeclark77net/jc77rogue/blob/master/program/namegen.py
and what it does is read a corpus of names and generate new names that sound like that corpus.  So you feed it a list of Roman names and it will give you fake names that sound Roman.

// joseph w. clark , phd , visiting research associate
\\ university of nebraska at omaha - college of IS&T