Homework help requested (not what you think!)

Neil Cerutti neilc at norwich.edu
Wed Jul 17 09:20:11 EDT 2013

On 2013-07-16, John Ladasky <john_ladasky at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> So, what I am seeking are suggestions for programming
> assignments that I can give to brand-new students of Python.
> Please keep in mind that none of them are even up to the task
> of a simple algorithm like Bubble Sort -- at least, not yet.

One of the first satisfying programs I wrote as a child
autodidact on my Commodore 64 was a random name generator. There
are lots of workable strategies and the output can be fun.

Hint: Putting together random syllables turned out to be much
more fun than random consonants and vowels.

Markov chains are an advanced technique you could introduce, but
you'd need a huge list of names broken into syllables from
somewhere.

--
Neil Cerutti