Question regarding building Python Windows installer

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pylist at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 11:46:41 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 8:11 AM, Mcadams, Philip W
<philip.w.mcadams at intel.com> wrote:
> I’m attempting to create a Python 64-bit Windows Installer.  Following the
> instructions here: http://docs.python.org/2/distutils/builtdist.html I’m to
> navigate to my Python folder and user command:
>

> python setup.py build --plat-name=win-amd64 bdist_wininst
>

> I get error: COMPILED_WTH_PYDEBUG = (‘—with-pydebug’ in
> sysconfig.get_config_var(“CONFIG_ARGS”))
>
> TypeError: argument of type ‘NoneType’ is not iterable
>

> I also have tried:
>

> setup.py build --plat-name=win-amd64 bdist_wininst
>

> and get error:
>

> File “setup.py”, line 263
>
> Print “%-*s %-*s %-*s” % (longest, e, longet, f,
>

> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>

> I followed the instructions here: http://docs.python.org/devguide/setup.html
> to create a PC build for Windows which allows me to run a Python prompt.
> Now I need to create a Windows Installer to install this Python on a Windows
> Server 2008 R2 box.
>

> To explain why I’m attempting to do this instead of just using the Windows
> Installer provided by Python:
>

> I needed to modify a _ssl.c file in the Python source code to deal a
> Mercurial that I’m trying to resolve.
>

> Any help on why I’m hitting these errors would be appreciated.
>

> Thank you.

Most of your problem is that setup.py is just for the extension
modules of the standard library, not the interpreter and all.  The
rest of your problem is that setup.py is really just not
Windows-friendly, relying on some Makefile vars and Modules/Setup.

Do you really need to install it?  If you're still in the testing
phase, would it be enough to just copy the source tree (with compiled
interpreter) to the box you need it on?  You can still use Mercurial
with it, just stick the hg modules somewhere on PYTHONPATH.

If you really do need an installer, I would suggest trying out
Tools/buildbot/buildmsi.bat and see if you can get it to work for you.
 I will warn you, buildmsi.bat is not well maintained and it may take
quite a bit of effort to make it work.

HTH,

--
Zach