Question regarding building Python Windows installer

Mcadams, Philip W philip.w.mcadams at intel.com
Mon Jul 15 09:11:09 EDT 2013

I'm attempting to create a Python 64-bit Windows Installer.  Following the instructions here: http://docs.python.org/2/distutils/builtdist.html I'm to navigate to my Python folder and user command:

python setup.py build --plat-name=win-amd64 bdist_wininst

I get error: COMPILED_WTH_PYDEBUG = ('-with-pydebug' in sysconfig.get_config_var("CONFIG_ARGS"))
TypeError: argument of type 'NoneType' is not iterable

I also have tried:

setup.py build --plat-name=win-amd64 bdist_wininst

and get error:

File "setup.py", line 263
Print "%-*s %-*s %-*s" % (longest, e, longet, f,

SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I followed the instructions here: http://docs.python.org/devguide/setup.html to create a PC build for Windows which allows me to run a Python prompt.  Now I need to create a Windows Installer to install this Python on a Windows Server 2008 R2 box.

To explain why I'm attempting to do this instead of just using the Windows Installer provided by Python:

I needed to modify a _ssl.c file in the Python source code to deal a Mercurial that I'm trying to resolve.

Any help on why I'm hitting these errors would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Philip McAdams
Systems Administrator - NVM Solutions Group Systems Engineering Apps & Infrastructure
Desk: (916) 377-6156 Cell: (916) 534-0092 Pole: FM3-1-D7