UTF-EBCDIC encoding?

Wayne Werner wayne at waynewerner.com
Mon Jul 15 18:48:52 EDT 2013

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013, Kev Dwyer wrote:

> Joel Goldstick wrote:

>>> environment
>>>
>>> http://www.iseriespython.com/app/ispMain.py/Start?job=Home
>>>
>>> Skip
>>>
>> I remember the AS400 series.. although I never worked with one.  What kind
>> of business still use that stuff? Is it for large corporation accounting,
>> MIS stuff?
>>

> Some banks still run legacy systems on AS/400s, and I've seen them used for
> airline booking systems and retail POS.

Sadly there are many larger corporations that have oodles of legacy code
on the Mainframe. We run z/OS and IBM DB2 here. In my off time I fiddle
around with Python in an attempt to make life more enjoyable - and one of
these forays has led me to attempt to unpack some packed data. Which is
also an interesting (if not terribly useful) project.

-W