GeoIP2 for retrieving city and region ?

Νικόλας nikos at superhost.gr
Mon Jul 15 09:25:09 EDT 2013

Στις 13/7/2013 9:17 μμ, ο/η Benjamin Kaplan έγραψε:
> On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Νικόλας <nikos at superhost.gr> wrote:
>> Στις 13/7/2013 7:54 μμ, ο/η Dennis Lee Bieber έγραψε:
>>>
>>>          Are you paying for a fixed IP number? I suspect you are if you
>>> were
>>> running a world-accessible server.
>>>
>>>          Obviously a fixed IP will be tied to a fixed connection and
>>> thereby to
>>> a fixed location which can be provided to a location database.
>>>
>>>          But most of us have DHCP assigned IP numbers, which change
>>> everytime we
>>> reboot our connection (or even when the DHCP lease expires -- which may be
>>> daily).
>>

>> Same networking scheme for me too, dynamic that is.
>>
>> Every time the DHCP lease expires or i reboot the router i get a new ip
>> address but every time the link i provided states accurately that my ip
>> address is from Thessaloníki and not Europe/Athens which is were my ISP
>> location is.
>>
>> Not to mention that in facebook, no matter the way i'am joining, via
>> smartphone, tablet, laptop it always pinpoints my exact location.
>>
>> But yes, i can understand your skepticism.
>> An ip address can move anywhere while remaining connected to the same ISP,
>> just like a networking device in the house, remains connected to the same
>> router while changing rooms or even floors, or even buildings.
>>
>> But then how do you explain the fact that
>> http://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip_demo
>> pinpointed Thessaloníki and not Athens and for 2 friends of mine that use
>> the same ISP as me but live in different cities also accurately identified
>> their locations too?
>>

> It's not telling you where your ISP is headquartered. It's telling you
> where the servers that you're connecting to are. In your case, you're
> connecting to servers that your Athens-based ISP has in a Thessaloniki
> datacenter. The only way to get an accurate location is to use
> something other than IP- phones like to use a combination of their
> GPS, a map of the cell phone towers, and a map of wi-fi hotspots (this
> is one of the things that Google's StreetView cars log as they drive).

Actually that happens only for my ISP(FORTHnet).
For other ISPs all locations boil down just to Europe/Athens.
This happens to be because my ISP's network scheme is to assign blcoks
of ip addresses per city in Greek area.

Same thing doesn't apply for others ISPs unfortunately here in Greece.

I have no idea how to implement the solution you proposed.
These are nice ideas we need to have a way of implement them within a
script.

I have no way of grasping a map of cell towers of a  map of wi-fi hotspots.

--
What is now proved was at first only imagined!