GeoIP2 for retrieving city and region ?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sat Jul 13 13:09:05 EDT 2013

In article <mailman.4680.1373734493.3114.python-list at python.org>,
 Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Obviously a fixed IP will be tied to a fixed connection and thereby to
> a fixed location which can be provided to a location database.

And even then, it can be wrong.  When I worked for EMC, they
(apparently, from what I could see) back-hauled internet connections for
all their offices to Hopkinton, MA where they had one central ISP
connection, via NAT.  So, when I sat at my desk in White Plains, NY and
went to Moviephone's web site, I was conveniently shown what all the
theaters in the Hopkinton area were playing that day.  Ditto for the
weather.

Not to mention that some IP addresses move.  People use mobile devices
in cars, busses, trains, planes, boats, etc.  Not to mention somewhat
more esoteric places like the ISS.