GeoIP2 for retrieving city and region ?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 01:53:48 EDT 2013

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 3:48 PM, Νικόλας <nikos at superhost.gr> wrote:
> Στις 13/7/2013 2:04 πμ, ο/η Dennis Lee Bieber έγραψε:
>>
>> On Sat, 13 Jul 2013 02:47:38 +1000, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>
>> declaimed the following:
>>

>>> Oh, and just for laughs, I tried a few of my recent mobile IP
>>> addresses in the GeoIP lookup. All of them quoted Melbourne someplace,
>>> some in the CBD and some out in the suburbs, but all vastly wrong, and
>>> places I haven't been. But I'd never expect it to be accurate on
>>> those.
>>>
>>         Well... the MaxMind demo of "my IP" did get the proper
>> metropolitan
>> area... But they list the ISP as "AT&T"... My real ISP is Earthlink
>> (piggybacking on AT&T DSL service).
>>
>>         The Lat/Long, however shows as
>>
>> 42.9634 -85.6681
>> whereas a recent GPS readout shows
>> 42.9159 -85.5541
>>
>> or 2m50s too far north, and 6m50s too far west.
>>
>>         Same website, accessed from my Blackberry phone, gave a result of
>> "United States, NA" and location 38 -97
>>

> I have read all your answer very carefully but i still need some way of
> getting it done.
>
> All my Greek website visitors say they are from Europe/Athens which is the
> ISP's location and not user's homeland.
>
> Well it worked for me but as many other told me it wasn't accurate for them
> too.
>
> Please try this:  http://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip_demo
>
> and tell me if maxmind's database can pippont you city's location.

Nikos, you keep asking for a way to do the impossible. We keep telling
you that it is impossible. No alternative technique will do what
cannot be done!

I just tried that on my two IPs and it was quite wrong on both of them
- further wrong than some of the others have been.

Stop expecting magic.

ChrisA