GeoIP2 for retrieving city and region ?

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Fri Jul 12 11:32:27 EDT 2013

On 07/12/2013 10:18 AM, Νικόλας wrote:
> Hello, iam still looking for a way to identify the city of my website
> visitors.

    <SNIP>

> I cant even import the module even though my 'pip install geopip2' wa
> successful

Either it wasn't successful, or it's not the package you thought.  There
are lots of things you might have downloaded, but since you give no
details...

> There is definately i way to identify the users location based solely on
> its ip address as this site does it: http://www.geoiptool.com/

Sure, and as long as you don't mind it being 1000 miles off, you too can
claim to do it too.  When I go to that site, the little pin is in
Kansas, which is 1100 miles from where I live on the east coast of the US.

> Google, MS, facebook and twitter are not the only ones that can do it?
>
> Perhaps this is being done by giving  longitude and latitude?

Or by reading the mind of the programmer.

I suggest you read that geoiptool site, in particular the page

http://www.geoiptool.com/en/ip_info/

There is some misinformation, but notice carefully the part about
dynamic IP addresses.  Probably 99% of the individual users on the web
(the ones using a browser) have dynamic IP addresses.  The fixed ones
are needed by servers, and especially for DNS use, where the name lookup
wants to be stable for relatively log periods of time.

--
DaveA