Question about mailing list rules

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Fri Jul 12 10:58:26 EDT 2013

On 07/12/2013 08:34 AM, Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 2:25 PM, Devyn Collier Johnson
> <devyncjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:

      <SNIP>

>>> One more thing Devyn should do is watch the “To:” field and make sure
>>> it says python-list at python.org, because the above message was sent to
>>> Chris only, and that is not what should happen most of the time.
>>> Another option is to use Reply All, but it will make old Usenet hags
>>> angry, because they would get two copies.

In Thunderbird, use Reply-List, rather than Reply-All, and it'll go to
the right place.  Still worth checking, though.

>>> --
>>> Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk> | GPG KEY: 5EAAEA16
>>> stop html mail                | always bottom-post
>>> http://asciiribbon.org        | http://caliburn.nl/topposting.html
>>
>> Thank you and sorry about that.
>>
>> Kwpolska, I noticed your email shows "stop html mail" at the bottom. I have
>> Thunderbird setup to use HTML mail. Are my emails coming up as plain text or
>> HTML on this mailing list?
>>
>> Devyn Collier Johnson
>
> Apparently, it comes in plaintext.  Mailman does not say that it
> removed HTML, so it should be fine.  Either way, there should be a
> switch in the new message window to set what should be sent.

I only see one message from Devyn, and it's not the one quoted here.
But the one I do see is in plain text.  The safest way to tell (other
than noticing that indentation randomly goes away, or that things are
missing, or ...) is to view the source.

In Thunderbird, select the message, then View->MessageSource.  Then
search in that for html.  Frequently there's two versions of the
message, one text and one html.  What you want is a single version, text.

--
DaveA.