Dihedral

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 14:23:45 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 4:08 AM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
> Fábio Santos, 16.07.2013 00:54:
>> Does this mean he passes the Turing test?
>
> I'd say that "it" appears more correct. Or is there any indication of a
> specific bot gender? (I sure might have missed it...)
>
> Note that being of a specific gender is definitely not required to pass the
> Turing test. I'm not even sure pretending to have one is required.

Gender:  [ ] Male   [ ] Female   [ ] Both   [ ] Neither   [ ] Robot   [ ] Other

In absence of specific information to the contrary, I'll usually refer
to computers and programs by masculine pronouns; no particular reason
for it, just the same sort of convention that has most ships and boats
being "she".

And you're quite right, gender and the pretense thereto are completely
optional in a Turing test, even though the Turing test was derived
from a similar concept involving gender.

ChrisA