RE Module Performance

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Sun Jul 28 14:51:26 EDT 2013

Op 28-07-13 20:19, Joshua Landau schreef:
> On 28 July 2013 09:45, Antoon Pardon <antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
> <mailto:antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be>> wrote:
>
>     Op 27-07-13 20:21, wxjmfauth at gmail.com <mailto:wxjmfauth at gmail.com>
>     schreef:
>
>         utf-8 or any (utf) never need and never spend their time
>         in reencoding.
>

>     So? That python sometimes needs to do some kind of background
>     processing is not a problem, whether it is garbage collection,
>     allocating more memory, shufling around data blocks or reencoding a
>     string, that doesn't matter. If you've got a real world example where
>     one of those things noticeably slows your program down or makes the
>     program behave faulty then you have something that is worthy of
>     attention.
>

> Somewhat off topic, but befitting of the triviality of this thread, do I
> understand correctly that you are saying garbage collection never causes
> any noticeable slowdown in real-world circumstances? That's not remotely
> true.

No that is not what I am saying. But if jmf would be complaining about
garbage collection in an analog way as he is complaining about the FSR,
he wouldn't be complaining about real-world circumstances but about
theorectical possibilities and micro bench marks. In those circunstances
the "garbage collection problem" wouldn't be worthy of attention much.

--
Antoon Pardon