RE Module Performance

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jul 28 15:06:34 EDT 2013

On 7/28/2013 2:29 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 7:19 PM, Joshua Landau <joshua at landau.ws> wrote:

>> Somewhat off topic, but befitting of the triviality of this thread, do I
>> understand correctly that you are saying garbage collection never causes any
>> noticeable slowdown in real-world circumstances? That's not remotely true.
>
> If it's done properly, garbage collection shouldn't hurt the *overall*
> performance of the app;

There are situations, some discussed on this list, where doing gc
'right' means turning off the cycle garbage collector. As I remember, an
example is creating a list of a million tuples, which otherwise triggers
a lot of useless background bookkeeping. The cyclic gc is tuned for
'normal' use patterns.

--
Terry Jan Reedy