Callable or not callable, that is the question!

Ulrich Eckhardt ulrich.eckhardt at dominolaser.com
Fri Jul 12 02:41:05 EDT 2013

Am 11.07.2013 16:11, schrieb Peter Otten:
> Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:
>> Bug or feature?
>
> No bug. Missing feature if you come up with a convincing use-case.

class Parser:
     def _handle_bool(input):
         # ...
         pass

     types = {'bool': _handle_bool,
              'boolean': _handle_bool,}

     def parse(self, line):
         t,s,v = line.partition(':')
         handler = types[t]
         return handler(v)

I want a utility function that really behaves just like a function. I'd
prefer to nest it inside the class that uses it, to make the code easier
to understand. Since I don't want the implicit self-binding either, I
would use staticmethod to make this clear, too.

Since I can live without any of this, it's not a big issue. What is to
me a big issue though is the fact that Python behaves unexpectedly and
reading Steven's response and the link there, it seems I'm not alone.

Greetings!

Uli