Kivy for Python 3.3

Ian Foote ian at feete.org
Thu Jul 11 08:25:11 EDT 2013

On 11/07/13 10:09, fronagzen at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello, first time poster here, and general newbie to Python.
>
> I'm looking to write a program in Python, (and have in fact written most of it by now,) and am trying to put together a GUI for it. Kivy looks very nice, particularly with the fact that it's supposed to be compatible with most platforms (including Android, which I would like to be able to use my program on in addition to running it on my desktop) with minimal hassle. However, its current iteration is Python 2.7 only, and I've only learned Python 3.3.
>
> I suppose I could learn Python 2.7, but I don't really want to. (Nor rewrite my program.) I could wait for the next release of Kivy, but who knows when that will be?
>
> In any case, it's apparently possible to pull and compile the development version of Kivy for 3.3: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/kivy-dev/pRp_02jaJww/discussion, however, I haven't succeeded in getting it to work. I'm on a Windows machine, and after a good deal of wrangling, I'm getting:
>
> C:\Users\[SNIP]\Desktop\kivy-py3>python setup.py build_ext --inplace --compiler=mi
> ngw32
> [INFO              ] Kivy v1.8.0-dev
> Windows platform detected, force GLEW usage.
> running build_ext
> Build configuration is:
>   * use_mesagl = False
>   * use_x11 = False
>   * use_rpi = False
>   * use_opengl_es2 = True
>   * use_opengl_debug = False
>   * use_sdl = False
>   * use_ios = False
>   * use_glew = True
> Generate config.h
> Generate config.pxi
> cythoning kivy\properties.pyx to kivy\properties.c
> building 'kivy.properties' extension
> C:\MinGW\bin\gcc.exe -mno-cygwin -mdll -O -Wall -IC:\Python33\include -IC:\Pytho
> n33\include -c kivy\properties.c -o build\temp.win32-3.3\Release\kivy\properties
> .o
> writing build\temp.win32-3.3\Release\kivy\properties.def
> C:\MinGW\bin\gcc.exe -mno-cygwin -shared -s build\temp.win32-3.3\Release\kivy\pr
> operties.o build\temp.win32-3.3\Release\kivy\properties.def -LC:\Python33\libs -
> LC:\Python33\PCbuild -lm -lpython33 -lmsvcr100 -o C:\Users\Lung\Desktop\kivy-py3
> \kivy\properties.pyd
> C:\MinGW\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.5\..\..\..\..\mingw32\bin\ld.exe: cannot fin
> d -lmsvcr100
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>   error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1
>
> I also tried to compile it with an Ubuntu virtual machine, but I failed hard on that since I'm not a native Linux user. Would anyone be able to help, either by suggesting how I can fix the above error, or, perhaps, by helping me compile Kivy?
>
> (I did post this on the Kivy group, but I've not gotten any response there... The group's a bit dead.)

Hi

Have you tried asking on the kivy irc channel? (#kivy on freenode, or
http://webchat.freenode.net/?nick=kvuser.&channels=kivy&uio=d4)

The channel is fairly active, though you might have to wait a bit for a
response.

I'm not a Windows user myself, so unfortunately I can't help with the
issue directly.

Regards,
Ian F