Babel i18n package has new maintainers

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Wed Jul 10 02:55:46 EDT 2013

Hi,

I've been looking for a Python package for formatting international dates,
numbers and monetary values in a web context for a couple of days now, but
the only thing that I could find that looked suitable at first sight was
the Babel package, of which the last release dates back two years, with
stale localisation data and missing Py3 support.

http://pythonhosted.org/Babel

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Babel

Now, after searching a bit more, I found that Armin Ronacher and Alex
Morega have recently taken over that package.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/python-babel/WImO1u-Q8GA/j62ABuuwTpAJ

They're now developing the code on github and porting it to Py3.3.

https://github.com/mitsuhiko/babel

Since it took me quite a while to figure this out, I thought I'd post this
here to make others aware of it.

I think it's a very important tool to have, and I'm sure Armin and Alex can
use some help and testing by others to get a new release out. There's
always stuff like reading through and updating the documentation, finding
bugs, testing with your existing code base, etc., that everyone can help with.

Stefan