Help with 'self' and 'set_usage'

Andrew Berg robotsondrugs at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 13:32:06 EDT 2013

On 2013.07.09 12:03, L O'Shea wrote:
> Could anyone shed some light on this? I can't find mention of this anywhere in any Python documentation or anywhere else in the code where usage_str might be defined.
In Python, you don't declare or initialize variables before using them. In the example you gave, that is where usage_str is defined. You
simply assign an object to a name or attribute (which may or may not have existed previously). You can then change it to anything else you
want; Python is dynamically typed, so the object you assign to it can be of any type.

Note: a class with __slots__ defined is the exception to this, but that's a bit of an advanced topic.

BTW, you can play with objects in the interactive interpreter. It's a great way to quickly learn how certain things work.
--
CPython 3.3.2 | Windows NT 6.2.9200 / FreeBSD 9.1