the general development using Python

CM cmpython at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 19:35:34 EDT 2013

On Tuesday, July 9, 2013 5:13:17 PM UTC-4, Joshua Landau wrote:
> On 9 July 2013 03:08, Adam Evanovich <ajetrumpet at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Can you wrap source code/libs/apps into an EXE and just
> > send that to the end user?  Or is it more complicated for them?
>

> Urm.. yes. But don't. That's the "nuclear" option and isn't a good
> one. If you have a *really genuinely good reason* (you probably don't)
> to do this, there are ways.

I still think you are overstating it somewhat.  Have a website on which you distribute your software to end users (and maybe even--gasp--charge them for it)?  *That's* a good reason.  And that's one of the top ways that users get software.  Also, many programs rely on 2-3 dependencies, and sometimes that is asking a lot of the end user to install.  (I know, I know, it shouldn't be...and with things like pip it really shouldn't be, but you know how it goes).

I completely agree with you in Ideal World thinking, but in the gnarly one we actually have, .exe files *often* have their place.