hex dump w/ or w/out utf-8 chars

Neil Cerutti neilc at norwich.edu
Tue Jul 9 08:22:34 EDT 2013

On 2013-07-08, Dave Angel <davea at davea.name> wrote:
> I appreciate you've been around a long time, and worked in a
> lot of languages.  I've programmed professionally in at least
> 35 languages since 1967.  But we've come a long way from the
> 6bit characters I used in 1968.  At that time, we packed them
> 10 characters to each word.

One of the first Python project I undertook was a program to dump
the ZSCII strings from Infocom game files. They are mostly packed
one character per 5 bits, with escapes to (I had to recheck the
Z-machine spec) latin-1. Oh, those clever implementors: thwarting
hexdumping cheaters and cramming their games onto microcomputers
with one blow.

--
Neil Cerutti