Geo Location extracted from visitors ip address

Νίκος Gr33k nikos at superhost.gr
Fri Jul 5 21:10:24 EDT 2013

Στις 6/7/2013 3:56 πμ, ο/η Joel Goldstick έγραψε:

> Your code is not finding /root/GeoIPCity.dat because your directory has
> this file: GeoLiteCity.dat
>
>     FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
>     '/root/GeoIPCity.dat'

My mistake.
Is there a differnce between GeoLiteCity.dat and GeoIPCity.dat

> Aside from that you might have some permission problems since the file
> is owned by root.

But he cgi scripts when running have full access to the server.
No? or they only have the kind of access that their user has also?

> As was also pointed out, you only get information about where your isp
> is located.
Its the best i can get to, since there is no other way to match the
users city.

Β  Phones and tablets find location from triangulating cell
> towers.Β  I don't think that laptops have that capability, and desktops
> probably even less likely.

What do you mean by that?

> What is the purpose that you wish to serve.Β  I don't think you've
> thought this through.

I just dont want to store visitor's ip addresses any more, i prefer to
store its city of origin.

--
What is now proved was at first only imagined!