Geo Location extracted from visitors ip address

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Fri Jul 5 17:18:03 EDT 2013

On 07/05/2013 04:44 PM, Tim Roberts wrote:
> ????? Gr33k <nikos at superhost.gr> wrote:
>>
>> Is there a way to extract out of some environmental variable the Geo
>> location of the user being the city the user visits out website from?
>>
>> Perhaps by utilizing his originated ip address?
>
> It is possible to look up the geographic region associated with a block of
> IP addresses.  That does not necessarily bear any resemblence to the actual
> location of the user.  It tells you the location of the Internet provider
> that registered the IP addresses.

To be more specific, the last time I checked, my IP address is
registered to a location over 1000 miles away.  And it's not a dedicated
IP address, so it could very well be used tomorrow by someone 200 nmiles
the other side of the registered location.

Further, I sometimes use other ISP's with different addresses, even when
I don't leave the house.  And once I leave, anything's possible.

The only things that travel with me and my machine are the cookies.  So
if someone has asked me my location, and if I told the truth, then that
information could remain available till I flush my cookies or change
Virtual Machines or even browsers.

--
DaveA