Geo Location extracted from visitors ip address

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Fri Jul 5 18:21:03 EDT 2013

On 2013-07-05 22:59, Support by Νίκος wrote:
> Στις 5/7/2013 10:58 μμ, ο/η Tim Chase έγραψε:
> > On 2013-07-05 22:08, Νίκος Gr33k wrote:
> >> Is there a way to extract out of some environmental variable the
> >> Geo location of the user being the city the user visits out
> >> website from?
> >>
> >> Perhaps by utilizing his originated ip address?
> > Yep.  You can get an 11MB database (17MB uncompressed)
> >
> > http://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/legacy/downloadable/
> >
> Thank you ill take a look

Alternatively, you[1] can use JavaScript in your code and have it
submit AJAX requests.  This interacts with the browser, asking it
where (geographically) it thinks it is.  This interacts with a GPS
some browsers (particularly mobile), while on others, it trusts the
user to report where they are.  Note that at any time, the user can
decline to answer or blatantly lie[2].

-tkc

[1]
generic "you"...this requires a fair bit of coding skill and the
ability to read/understand documentation that I can't say I've seen
demonstrated in certain recent threads.

[2]
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/geolocater/