Illegal suggestions on python list

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 18:30:57 EDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 3:10 AM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 9:16 PM, Steven D'Aprano
>>
>> Which crime is that? Presumably you mean an actual criminal felony, not a
>> mere civil offence. Under which jurisdiction?
>>
>> If piracy is a crime, and not just a civil offence, then surely so is
>> libel.
>
> You've got your OO class hierarchy mixed up and then imposing that on me.
>
> See
> http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/crimes-felonies-misdemeanors-infractions-classification-33814.html
>
> I did not say or suggest felony.
> Maybe misdemeanor or infarction. Dunno which. IANAL...

The specific terms don't really matter here, but in most
jurisdictions, "felony" will be a term that unambiguously refers to a
crime against the law, as distinct from what Steven is comparing
against, civil damages.

If I shoot you dead, I have committed murder. This is a crime.

If I put up a sign saying "Entrance to <your business name>" over my
own door, next to yours, then I have committed no crime, but you can
sue me in civil court for your loss of business resulting from my
action.

Whether one of them is classed as a felony in some jurisdiction or not
doesn't matter, what matters is that one is simply not a crime.
Violating a license agreement usually is not a crime (and if done in
good faith, is often considered a bug to be fixed, not a suit to be
pressed - but that does NOT apply here), hence the analogies to
criminal action somewhat break down.

That said, though, offering in public to rip someone off is just as
unwise as offering in public to commit a crime.

ChrisA