UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xb6 in position 0: invalid start byte

Νίκος Gr33k nikos at superhost.gr
Fri Jul 5 03:10:12 EDT 2013

Στις 5/7/2013 9:55 πμ, ο/η Lele Gaifax έγραψε:
> Ferrous Cranus <nikos at superhost.gr> writes:
>
>> host =  gethostbyaddr(....) or "UnResolved"
>>
>> This will return the first argument that define the evaluation as
>> being true or untrue.
>>
>> if function returns false the the 2nd argument.
>> Nut if the function gives an exception will the condition return the
>> 2nd argument or will the program fail?
>>
>> I was udner the impression that i could avoid error handling  inside
>> try/excepts by utilizing "or".
>
> No, you had the wrong impression. Why don't you simply invoke the Python
> interpreter and try things out with that??
>
>      >>> a = 1/0 or 100
>      Traceback (most recent call last):
>        File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>      ZeroDivisionError: division by zero
>      >>> a
>      Traceback (most recent call last):
>        File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>      NameError: name 'a' is not defined
>      >>> a = 0/1 or 100
>      >>> a
>      100
>      >>>

Thank you Lele, i wanted to but i had no idea how to test it.
Your devision by zero is very smart thing to test!

So it proves that a condition cannot be evaluation as truthy or falsey
if one of the operators is giving out an exception.
Thank you.

--
What is now proved was at first only imagined!