UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xb6 in position 0: invalid start byte

Νίκος nikos at superhost.gr
Thu Jul 4 08:47:23 EDT 2013

Στις 4/7/2013 3:07 μμ, ο/η MRAB έγραψε:
> On 04/07/2013 12:36, Νίκος wrote:
>> Στις 4/7/2013 2:06 μμ, ο/η MRAB έγραψε:

>>> Well, it's from a bytestring, so you'll have to specify what encoding
>>> you're using! (It clearly isn't UTF-8.)
>>>
>>> If it's ISO-8859-7 (what you've previously referred to as "greek-iso"),
>>> then:
>>>
>>>  >>> import unicodedata
>>>  >>> unicodedata.name(b"\xb6".decode("ISO-8859-7"))
>>> 'GREEK CAPITAL LETTER ALPHA WITH TONOS'
>>>
>>> You'll need to find out where that bytestring is coming from.
>>
>> Right.
>> But nowhere in my script(metrites.py) i use an 'Ά' so i really have no
>> clue where this is coming from.
>>
>> And you are right if it was a byte came from an utf-8 encoding scheme
>> then it would be automatically decoded.
>>
>> The only thing i can say for use is that this problem a[[ear only when i
>> cloudflare my domain "superhost.gr"
>>
>> If i un-cloudlflare it it cease to display errors.
>>
>> Can you tell me hpw to write the following properly:
>>
>> host = socket.gethostbyaddr( os.environ['REMOTE_ADDR'] )[0] or
>> 'UnResolved'
>>
>> so even if the function fails "unresolved" to be returned back?
>> Somehow i need to capture the error.
>>
>> Or it dosnt have to do it the or operand will be returned?
>>
> If gethostbyaddr fails, it raises socket.gaierror, (which, from Python
> 3.3 onwards, is a subclass of OSError), so try catching that, setting
> 'host' to 'UnResolved' if it's raised.
>
> Also, try printing out ascii(os.environ['REMOTE_ADDR']).

I have followed your suggestion by trying this:

try:
	host = socket.gethostbyaddr( os.environ['REMOTE_ADDR'] )[0]
except socket.gaierror:
	host = "UnResolved"

and then re-cloudlflared "superhost.gr" domain

http://superhost.gr/ gives internal server error.

--
What is now proved was at first only imagined!