Important features for editors

Sivaram Neelakantan nsivaram.net at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 10:24:07 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 08 2013,Skip Montanaro wrote:

>>> I couldn't live without the keyboard macro record and playback.
>>
>> I used to work with a programmer who couldn't live without his insulin
>> injections.
>
> Hyperbole aside, two of my most common "crutches" are Emacs macros and
> bash history.  Given how useful macros are, I find it very odd that
> recent versions of GNU Emacs dispensed with the old key binding to C-x
> c.
>
> Skip

Wasn't it C-x ( ?  From the manual

   In addition to the <F3> and <F4> commands described above, Emacs
also supports an older set of key bindings for defining and executing
keyboard macros.  To begin a macro definition, type `C-x ('
(`kmacro-start-macro'); as with <F3>, a prefix argument appends this
definition to the last keyboard macro.  To end a macro definition, type
`C-x )' (`kmacro-end-macro').  To execute the most recent macro, type
`C-x e' (`kmacro-end-and-call-macro').  If you enter `C-x e' while

 sivaram