Important features for editors

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 08:12:14 EDT 2013

On Thursday, July 4, 2013 1:37:10 PM UTC+5:30, Göktuğ Kayaalp wrote:
> Programmability comes to my mind, before anything else.  I'd suggest
> to find out about designs of Emacs and Vi(m).

There's one reason I prefer emacs -- and I guess some people prefer Idle -- the interpreter and editor are tightly integrated.

This is not strictly in the class of editor-as-editor but editor as programming-in-the-tiny support.

That said it needs to be also remembered:
- needs some setup efforts for python
- key-bindings and terminology will seem weird to the younger generation

One expansion for EMACS is Editor for Middle Aged Computer Scientists -- so I am guessing if you're asking the question you dont qualify :-)

If you get past these initial hurdles and also the initial programming hurdles to get to the point where you have the AHA moment -- programming is like art/poetry, you may want to look at emacs -> org-mode -> babel
which is the state-of-art system for what is called 'literate programming'
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/intro.html

[I am a medium-grade user of org-mode and completely noob at babel! ]