Important features for editors

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Jul 4 11:46:51 EDT 2013

On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 07:02:26 -0700, rusi wrote:

> On Thursday, July 4, 2013 7:03:19 PM UTC+5:30, Steve Simmons wrote:
>> Boy oh boy! You really are a slow learner Nicos. You have just offered
>> to commit a crime and to include dozens of others in that crime ON A
>> PUBLIC FORUM. Please think before you post.
>
> For the record Steve, let me say, I find Robert Kern's objection barely
> sufficient.
>
> And yours less than that.
>
> Note that you are not objecting to the crime

Which crime is that? Presumably you mean an actual criminal felony, not a
mere civil offence. Under which jurisdiction?

> but to the public
> expression of it. Just look at your objection from the angle of a police
> officer, and you will see that it can certainly be construed as
> abetment/collusion

If piracy is a crime, and not just a civil offence, then surely so is
libel. You have just accused Steve Simmons of collusion in a felony,
based on absolutely no evidence at all. That's as clear a case of libel
as I've ever seen. Although I'm not sure that the damages should be
terribly high -- there's little evidence that anyone treats your
ridiculously exaggerated claims about other people's supposed crimes as
anything but hot air.

But, putting damages aside, according to what passes for the reasoning
that you have demonstrated here, your committing libel would make you
equally a "petty criminal" as Nikos.

Speaking of petty, this whole witch-hunt is getting ridiculous. Don't you
have something more productive to do? Accusing people of colluding in
crimes because they fail to be sufficiently zealous in "objecting to the
crime" is nuts.

--
Steven