Python - forking an external process?

Victor Hooi victorhooi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 23:47:29 EDT 2013

Hi,

I have a Python script where I want to run fork and run an external command (or set of commands).

For example, after doing <xyz>, I then want to run ssh to a host, handover control back to the user, and have my script terminate.

Or I might want to run ssh to a host, less a certain textfile, then exit.

What's the idiomatic way of doing this within Python? Is it possible to do with Subprocess?

Cheers,
Victor

(I did see this SO post - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6011235/run-a-program-from-python-and-have-it-continue-to-run-after-the-script-is-kille, but it's a bit older, and I was going to see what the current idiomatic way of doing this is).