DOS or not? [was Re: How to tell Script to use pythonw.exe ?]

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 19:35:52 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> On 03 Jul 2013 13:19:26 GMT, Steven D'Aprano
> <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> declaimed the following:
>
>>On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 14:00:49 +0100, Tim Golden wrote:
>>
>>> Goodness, I doubt if you'll find anyone who can seriously make a case
>>> that the Windows command prompt is all it might be. I'm not a Powershell
>>> user myself but people speak highly of it.
>>
>>I understand that Powershell is aimed more for batch use rather than
>>interactive use.
>
>         In one respect: no...
>
>         Consider that the Powershell default is to /prevent/ execution of
> script files unless some security settings have been changed; even local
> script files need to be "signed" to be executed.

IOW, it's aimed at *secure* batch use for paranoid sysadmins.

According to microsoft.com:

"""
Windows PowerShell® is a task-based command-line shell and scripting
language designed especially for system administration. Built on the
.NET Framework, Windows PowerShell® helps IT professionals and power
users control and automate the administration of the Windows operating
system and applications that run on Windows.
"""

Which would seem to indicate that it targets both interactive and
scripting uses.