DOS or not? [was Re: How to tell Script to use pythonw.exe ?]

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Wed Jul 3 09:00:49 EDT 2013

On 03/07/2013 13:50, Tim Chase wrote:
> On 2013-07-03 09:51, Tim Golden wrote:
>> We can certainly agree on this. I can't count the number of emails
>> I've deleted as too hot-headed in response to dismissive comments
>> about Windows as a platform. Some of them, at least, appear to be
>> from people who last actually used Windows back in the 9x days when
>> the command window was very limited indeed.
>
> I guess one of my biggest frustrations with the cmd.exe (and
> command.com) interpreters is that argument processing is left to the
> application, so each application may do it slightly differently:

Goodness, I doubt if you'll find anyone who can seriously make a case
that the Windows command prompt is all it might be. I'm not a Powershell
user myself but people speak highly of it. Or, as you say, you can use
the GNU tools either natively or via cygwin. Not my cup of tea, but
that's the way of tools: one man's meat...

More to the point, I've got no problem with informed criticism (although
there's little point in grumbling just for the sake of it). The problem
I have is with criticisms which are years out of date, or which appear
to be fuelled by prejudice more than by experience.

TJG