Stupid ways to spell simple code

Marcin Szamotulski mszamot at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 15:36:29 EDT 2013

On 17:30 Mon 01 Jul     , Joshua Landau wrote:
> On 1 July 2013 14:14, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I've often thought it was redundant for Python to support 'if'
> >> when it has dictionaries, cf the rationale for having no
> >> 'switch'.
> >>
> >> valid_name = None
> >> while not valid_name:
> >>     name = input("Enter your name: ")
> >>     valid_name = {
> >>         True: lambda: print("No name longer than 20 letters."),
> >>         False: lambda: True,
> >>     }[len(name) > 20]()
> >>
> >> Much better.
> >
> > Good! Good! But, waaaah. Waaaah.
> >
> > def get_name():
> >   while True:
> >     name = input("Enter your name: ")
> >     yield {
> >         True: lambda: print("No name longer than 20 letters."),
> >         False: lambda: name,
> >     }[len(name) > 20]()
> > name = next(filter(None,get_name()))
>
> Oh, cruel. But you can do worse. Who needs "while" when you have
> filter(iter(FUNCTION, object()))?
>
> def get_name():
>     name = input("Enter your name: ")
>     return [
>         lambda: name,
>         lambda: print("No name longer than 20 letters."),
>     ][len(name) > 20]()
>
> name = next(filter(None, iter(get_name, object())))
>

> But who needs *any* of this! Defining functions is so old-hat. It's
> all already in the standard library (using only assignments and function-calls):
>
> from functools import partial
> from operator import getitem, ge, methodcaller
> from itertools import compress, tee
> apply = methodcaller("__call__")
> ret_true = partial(getitem, [True], 0)
> print_invalid = partial(print, "No name longer than 20 letters.")
> inputs = iter(partial(input, "Enter your name: "), ...)
> inputs, valid = tee(inputs)
> valid = map(len, valid)
> valid = map(partial(ge, 20), valid)
> side_effect_valid = map(partial(getitem, [print_invalid, ret_true]), valid)
> side_effect_valid = map(apply, side_effect_valid)
> valid_inputs = compress(inputs, side_effect_valid)
> name = next(valid_inputs)
>

> Which can be "neatly" expressed as two statements (I'm struggling to
> got it to one without those evil lambdas):
>
> from functools import partial
> from operator import getitem, ge, methodcaller
> from itertools import compress, tee
>
> inputs, valid = tee(iter(partial(input, "Enter your name: "), ...))
>
> name = next(
>     compress(
>         inputs,
>         map(
>             methodcaller("__call__"),
>             map(
>                 partial(
>                     getitem,
>                     [
>                         partial(print, "No name longer than 20 letters."),
>                         partial(getitem, [True], 0)
>                     ]
>                 ),
>                 map(
>                     partial(ge, 20),
> [...]

Here is another example which I came across when playing with
generators, the first function is actually quite useful, the second
generator is the whole fun:

from functools import wraps
def init(func):
    """decorator which initialises the generator
    """
    @wraps(func)
    def inner(*args, **kwargs):
        g = func(*args, **kwargs)
        g.send(None)
        return g
    return inner

@init
def gen(func):
     x = (yield)
     while True:
         x = (yield func(x))

now if you have function f
def f(arg):
    return arg**2

then calling f(5) is the same as

g = gen(f)
g.send(5)

I wrote a blog post where I did include this as a `useless` example:
http://pycorner.herokuapp.com/blog/5

Best regards,
Marcin