python adds an extra half space when reading from a string or list

rurpy at yahoo.com rurpy at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 3 15:18:58 EDT 2013

On 07/03/2013 12:08 PM, rusi wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 3, 2013 10:31:23 PM UTC+5:30, ru... at yahoo.com wrote:
>> Are the existence of laws against beating people up negated because
>> you told them in advance?  Or negated because they "deserve" the
>> beating?
>
> One of the fundamental purpose of laws is to legalize what you call
> 'beating-up' Goes by the names like jail-sentences, fines and
> ultimately capital punishment.

Thanks, I hadn't realized there were laws requiring
Nikos to be competent to run a web server business.
Next time I interact with Nikos I'll inform him that
he is acting illegally and C.L.P. has been empowered
(I'm still a little fuzzy about by who) to punish him!

> Civilization would not be possible without these.
>
> BTW the etymological roots of 'civilization' come from 16th century
> usages such as "I shall civilise thee with my rod"

Again thanks!  That never occurred to me.  Since
"civilization" is a word in the *English* language
and since we English speakers  (especially us
Christian ones!!) define morality and civilization
for the world, then that word's root is really
significant!

>> Does it make any difference if the beating is for their own good?
>> (In the beater's opinion?)  (In the majority opinion?)
>
> As a good Christian I believe that Chris tried more than anyone else
> on this list to help Nikos before talking recourse to another gem of
> biblical wisdom: He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that
> loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Wow!  And yet again thanks!  Now that I know I can just
apply Christian ethics, my questions are answered.  You
know, those ethics that results in the crusades against
the Islamic world, the ethics that thought it a great
idea to torture heretics to death in the Inquisition,
the ethics that resulted in the genocide of millions of
South, Central and North American indigenous people who
refused to accept Jesus and persisted in their heathen
devil-worshiping ways?  The ethics that even today deny
abortions to women at risk of death carrying pregnancy
to full term?  I'll will go and reread my bible to
figure out how to deal with Nikos.

That's what I love about the Internet!!!  Post a question
and one gets an answer in minutes!  No need to think or
study all those dull old philosophy and sociology books.