python adds an extra half space when reading from a string or list

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Wed Jul 3 05:21:40 EDT 2013

Op 03-07-13 02:30, rurpy at yahoo.com schreef:
> If your going to point out something negative about someone
> then do so politely.  Ask yourself if you were pointing out
> incompetence to your boss (or anyone else where impoliteness
> could have real consequences for you) if you would say,
> "you're incompetent."

And so we shift from no problem speaking bluntly or clearly
to wording it in a way that wouldn't antagonize your boss
too much.

Off course that would also mean throwing out remarks like:

] You have betrayed the trust of all your customers.

Which seemed to be accepted on this list without a problem.

> Please use non-emotional, neutral, factual descriptions
> and only do so when it is actually relevant.  IOW, please
> resist your desire to "tell off" the poster -- it usually
> just produces more responses in kind.

This is often not workable. Limiting to factual description
means that you often can't summarize a list of such factual
descriptions into a conclusion. You can list 8 examples of
someone betraying the trust of his customers but you can't
summarize it into: "is/behaves untrustworthy to his customers,"
even if all signs point to this person going to continue in the
same vein.

It is limiting yourself into pointing out all the trees
without being allowed to call it a forest.

--
Antoon Pardon