python adds an extra half space when reading from a string or list

rurpy at yahoo.com rurpy at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 2 21:21:11 EDT 2013

On 07/02/2013 05:18 PM, Joshua Landau wrote:
> On 2 July 2013 23:34, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>[...]
>> Needless to say, I disagree with your position. There is no place for
>> baseless insults in this community; but when the behaviour of someone in
>> this community is harmful, then it is entirely appropriate to use clear
>> terms (e.g. “incompetent”, “inconsiderate”) to describe their behaviour.
>
> Firstly, describing someone's behaviour and describing someone's
> character are two completely different things. The second is far more
> judgemental and unhelpful than the first. Antoon is describing
> people's character. You are talking about describing their actions.

In practice there is often little difference.  "You are acting
like an asshole" could be defended as describing a behavior
and "you are rude" as describing a character (rude by nature).

The reality is that few of the people at whom such statements
are aimed will make such fine distinction.  If you use negatively
judgemental statements against other posters, a significant
number of them will respond to you in kind.