python adds an extra half space when reading from a string or list

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Tue Jul 2 04:16:37 EDT 2013

Op 02-07-13 09:43, Ian Kelly schreef:
> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 12:54 AM, Antoon Pardon
> <antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be> wrote:
>> Why about you just ignore me?
>>
>> Serious, a lot of people here seem to think that if someone is bothered
>> by someone else, the bothered person should just ignore the botherer.
>>
>> That is until something starts bothering these people themselves, then
>> suddenly all kind of arguments are let loose in the hope of influencing
>> the person that bothered them in changing his behaviour.
> So what if they do?  Failure to follow one's own advice does not make
> it bad advice.

That is true. But it should give some appreciation on how difficult it
can be to follow the advise. IMO "ignore the botherer" is bad advice in
the same sense as telling people who are overweight they should just eat
less and exercise more.

Sure if overweight people would follow the advise they actually would
loose weight, but the advise ignores how hard it can be for people to
change their behaviour. People can't just decide they will behave a
certain way in the future. There can be all kinds of hurdles that will
tempt them to resume the original behaviour.

I would like people to have that in mind when they try to tell others to
just ignore the behaviour that bothers them. Maybe it would help them to
be a bit more patient to those who have trouble following the advise.

--
Antoon Pardon