Don't feed the troll...

rurpy at yahoo.com rurpy at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 1 10:02:10 EDT 2013

On 06/30/2013 11:25 AM, Antoon Pardon wrote:
> Op 28-06-13 19:20, Ian Kelly schreef:
>[...]
>> Flaming a troll is not punishing to them.
>
> I see I didn't make my point clear. This was my response to
> your remark about the collective experience going back decades.
> The collective experience often enough doesn't carry over wisdom
> but myth. To illustrate that, I gave the example of teachers whose
> collective experience is contradicted by the research. So if the
> only thing you can rely on is the collective experience of the
> group your knowledge isn't very relyable.

I don't have anything to add to the discussion beyond restating
what I've already said (which I'm not interested in doing), except
to address this point in light of recent posts on the list.

You claim "collective experience" is not reliable and dismiss it
in favor of your own theory, flaming trolls is a better response.
And your evidence for that?  Nothing (that I've read so far).

Collective experience may not always be totally reliable but it
seems to me it is better than the non-experience that you have
offered.

Ironically your flame war with Nikos in
  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2013-June/650905.html
provides evidence for the validity of the collective experience you
dismiss, that engaging in flame wars with trolls simply produces more
flames, hostility begets hostility.  I, and I think the majority of
people here, find that very unpleasant.  You have become (as predicted
by the collective experience you dismiss) as offensive as any troll.