why no pydoc python?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jan 31 23:24:10 EST 2013

rh <richard_hubbe11 at lavabit.com> writes:

> pydoc can be invoked from the operating system shell.

Which is irrelevant to what ‘pydoc’ produces, since it is looking in the
Python documentation.

You'll notice that ‘pydoc pydoc’ does not give the contents of the
‘pydoc’ manpage. Instead, it gives documentation for the ‘pydoc’ module,
as expected.

> So the question remains, why not?

Because the ‘pydoc’ command is for displaying Python documentation, not
man pages.

--
 \     “Are you pondering what I'm pondering?” “I think so, Brain, but |
  `\   pants with horizontal stripes make me look chubby.” —_Pinky and |