Help the visibility of Python in computational science

dg.google.groups at thesamovar.net dg.google.groups at thesamovar.net
Thu Jan 31 20:05:07 EST 2013

Hi everyone,

There is currently a competition running that could help give Python in
computational science a bit of visibility. The competition is for the
most popular recently published article on the Scholarpedia website, one
of which is about a Python package "Brian" for computational
neuroscience simulations. If you could take one minute to make sure you
are signed in to your Google+ account and click the g+1 icon near the
top right of the page, it has a chance of winning the competition.
Here's the link to the article:

http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Brian_simulator

Full disclosure, I'm the first author of that article, and I'd be happy
to win the competition too. :)

More details:

Scholarpedia is an alternative to wikipedia with slightly tighter
control: contributions only allowed from scholars, etc. "Brain
Corporation" is offering $10000 in prizes to the top 3 most popular
entries published between last October and this June based on google +1
votes. It's a bit of a silly popularity contest because of this, but I
still think it would be great if a Python based thing could win it.

"Brian" is a package I wrote (with several others) to do simulations of
spiking neural networks in Python. Read the article if you want to know
more! :)

Thanks all for your attention,

Dan