advice, python for binary to xml

Maarten maarten.sneep at knmi.nl
Thu Jan 31 12:17:07 EST 2013

On Thursday, January 31, 2013 4:05:43 PM UTC+1, noydb wrote:
> > I assume that you've looked into GPSBabel? http://www.gpsbabel.org/
>
> Yes, I have.  Was hoping to use it, but client is very resistent to adding such things to their system - python is desireable.  So what GPSbabel does is what I need, just one translation, from Garmin's gdb file (binary) to gpx.

They realize that they'll get a much higher bill, and more bugs to boot?

I don't think there is an easy way around this, but at least you have some code to start reading gdb - as far as I know the GPSBabel sources are the only public description of the gdb file format. It is not trivial, but restricting yourself to the parts needed for the application may provide some shortcuts.

Maarten - pay more, get less: way to go.