Please provide a better explanation of tuples and dictionaries

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 22:51:09 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Daniel W. Rouse Jr.
<dwrousejr at nethere.comnospam> wrote:
> "Chris Angelico" <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:mailman.1197.1359515470.2939.python-list at python.org...
>> Have you checked out the online documentation at
>> http://docs.python.org/ ? That might have what you're looking for.
>>
> I'll check the online documentation but I was really seeking a book
> recommendation or other offline resource. I am not always online, and often
> times when I code I prefer local machine documentation or a book. I do also
> have the .chm format help file in the Windows version of Python.

Ah. I think the tutorial's in the chm file, but I'm not certain. But
for actual books, I can't point to any; I learned from online info
only, never actually sought a book (in fact, the last time I used
dead-tree reference books was for C and C++). Sorry!

>> By the way, you may want to consider learning and using Python 3.3
>> instead of the older branch 2.7...
>>
> Honestly, I don't know what code is being supported. I've just seen enough
> test automation requirements calling for Python (in addition to C# and perl)
> in some of the latest job listings that I figured I better get some working
> knowledge of Python to avoid becoming obsolete should I ever need to find
> another job.

A fair point. In that case, it's probably worth learning both; they're
very similar. Learn either one first, then master the differences.

ChrisA