environment fingerprint

Jabba Laci jabba.laci at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 18:33:12 EST 2013

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. I came up with the solution below. For my purposes
the short fingerprint is enough.

Laszlo

======

import platform as p
import uuid
import hashlib

def get_fingerprint(md5=False):
    """
Fingerprint of the current operating system/platform.

If md5 is True, a digital fingerprint is returned.
"""
    sb = []
    sb.append(p.node())
    sb.append(p.architecture()[0])
    sb.append(p.architecture()[1])
    sb.append(p.machine())
    sb.append(p.processor())
    sb.append(p.system())
    sb.append(str(uuid.getnode())) # MAC address
    text = '#'.join(sb)
    if md5:
        md5 = hashlib.md5()
        md5.update(text)
        return md5.hexdigest()
    else:
        return text

def get_short_fingerprint(length=6):
    """
A short digital fingerprint of the current operating system/platform.

Length should be at least 6 characters.
"""
    assert 6 <= length <= 32
    #
    return get_fingerprint(md5=True)[-length:]